Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Today we said goodbye to our sweet Dasha girl.  She had started having seizures about a year ago and was taking medication to control them.  It was working well until Sunday when she had her first seizure in months.  Within 6 hours she had another and by Monday morning she was seizing often.  She was never able to recover from the last one she had and we had to make the hard decision to let her go be with Diesel and find peace from her broken body.

We had an appointment at 10:30 to let her go so we got her there and they took her back.  They cleaned her up a bit and laid her on a soft blanket.  I waited with her and got to talk to her and give her as much love as I could.  She still had some soul in her eyes but her body just wouldn't respond.  The nurse came in and told us an emergency had just come in and the doctor was delayed.  I got to sit with her for about 30 minutes which honestly I needed.  I'm thankful that God gave me that last chance to be with her and to find peace in the decision to let her go.

The doctor over at Companion Animal Hospital was new (to me) but he was so kind and friendly.  He gave me a hug and gently explained the process.  I asked him if he thought my decision was right and he agreed.  He explained medically why he felt it was her time to go and also his own opinion.  He gave her the medicine and within seconds she was gone.  I could tell the exact moment her heart stopped and it hurt so.. very... much.

Our house feels a little bit empty.  There are so many reminders of our girl.  We've shared stories about her almost all day long and are slowly picking up the small reminders and putting them away.  I'll wash her little Dasha baby and collar and put them in a box to keep.  I'll never forget my sweet girl and how much she meant to me.  She and Diesel made me a mom - and a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment